Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Five Stars To Snohomish County Clerks

"People expect good service but few are willing to give it." - Robert Gately

a little hinky, a little kind
truth overcomes dissatifaction
the heart can understand

I want to give kudos to the staff of the Snohomish County Jury Assembly Room, and the woman whose name I neglected to get in room C140.

First of all, the information provided in the Jury Summons and over the phone line was easy to understand and complete including where to find the elevators in the parking lot.

I arrived, and discovered that Jury Assembly Room wasn't the most comfortable. However, easy directions got me straight to the room. All the juror packets, and supplies were well organized. A friendly staff checked us in, pointed us to the easy to
use self-service machine for parking validation.

Then, the woman gave us statistics, made us proud of showing up, explained the process we would be involved in, and apologized for the fact that it was hard to be comfortable in the room in THOSE chairs. She encouraged us to take the time to the customer satisfaction survey at the end of our service. She followed that by giving
an example of something that had changed due to feedback given. Oh, and there an extensive list of area restaurants for lunch break options.

Day one went smoothly.

Please call in after to 5 pm to find out if you need to come in Tuesday. I called all evening receiving only a fast busy signal.

Day two, the only reasonable option was to show up for jury duty. I arrived and
couldn't make it through the security screening without setting off the alarm. Woo,
woo - my first experience of being wanded for contraband. They were kind. After
they let me through, it dawned on me I was wearing a shirt with metal snaps.

Finally, into the Jury Assembly Room, and no one is there. But, there is a note saying if you need immediate assistance go to Room C140. Did I need assistance or was I just early . . . Ok, I need to know if I should be there. The young woman in the office
immediately stopped what she was doing to call someone who would know if my group was supposed to be there. Someone came in and said. "We need to call Jan, and tell her to come in." It turns out Jan is the person in charge of the Jury Assembly Room. Then, the young woman got up to show me the way back to room. Unnecessary, but so sweet.

Jan came in seconds after I went back to the room (now populated with many other jurors). She apologized for the issue with the phone line, explained what happened, how she checked the line herself before she left yesterday, praised us all for showing up anyway, and apologized again.

I looked around the room and didn't see disgruntled people though many hadn't needed to come in at all. The response I saw reinforced the fact she did a great
job dealing with an unexpected problem.

As I was leaving that day, I saw a young who was wheeling two gray plastic carts like they use in to collect dirty dishes in restaurants. When he got to place walkway slanted downhill, he placed one cart on each side, placed one of his palms on the top of each cart and proceeded to right them down the hill. Ah, the human spirit, perfect ended to Jury Duty Day 2.

"Quality in a service or product is not what you put into it.
It is what the client or customer gets out of it." Peter Drucker

No comments:

Post a Comment