Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Strange Loop

I was so delighted at all the amazing quotes I found on the Strange Loops site yesterday thought I would wander back there  . . . however as can easily happen with Sister Google, I brought a Wikipedia reference for Strange Loop:

A strange loop, technically called tangled hierarchy consciousness, arises when, by moving only upwards or downwards through a hierarchical system, one finds oneself back where one started.
Strange loops may involve self-reference and paradox. The concept of a strange loop was proposed and extensively discussed by Douglas Hofstadter in Gödel, Escher, Bach, and is further elaborated in Hofstadter's book I Am a Strange Loop, published in 2007.
A tangled hierarchy is a hierarchical consciousness system in which a strange loop appears.

So interesting, I am most surprised by the fact that I was totally obliviously to this reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment