Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sheila Bender, Writing and Grief

Today, I skipped out of work early because I wanted to meet author Sheila Bender, at Third Place Books, and hear her at talk her new book A New Theology : Turning to Poetry in a Time of Grief : "Poet and essayist Sheila Bender tells how she used writing poetry to find her way out of grief after her son’s death following a snowboarding accident."

She really touched the hearts of many present. Many tears streamed, tissues raised, feelings choking words of thank you, you understand . . . shared grief and realizations.

As she teaches writing, she, also, answered questions and offered tips I hope to make use of. Someone asked about the difficulty of writing so that others understand. The part of the answer I remember was a good one for me. Anyone can write for themselves. When making a connection with a mind and heart outside our own, we have a richer experience. And that is where the craft of writing comes in.

She recommended a book I am looking forward to getting: How To Read A Poem And Fall In Love With It by Edward Hirsch. And checking out her online website, Sheila Bender's Writing It Real.

And after I left her presentation, had my new book signed, I sat down to write a few thoughts on grief and grieving:

sinking down into grief feels like falling into quicksand
it softly swallows all the air around and in you
and, don't scream cause it goes nowhere in the all alone

Yes, I believe I have some writing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment