Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Compassion The Seventh Sense




ancient ones standing forth
majestic winds encompass trees
there is continuity to this dance

"The principle of compassion lies at the heart of all religious, ethical and spiritual traditions, calling us always to treat all others as we wish to be treated ourselves." - 1st line of the Charter for Compassion

I was excited last evening to see added to the list of names affirming the Charter for Compassion is author Isabel Allende, and actor Forest Whitaker. I was equally excited in the beginning to see Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel, Quincy Jones, Melissa Etheridge, Goldie Hawn and Megan Ryan all supporting the charter along the Dalai Lama, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, and Deepak Chopra.

The question comes to mind how much weight I put on the opinions of celebrities, and why. Some of it is the excitement of being joined in such a noble cause with famous people. My logical mind says they have big voices that carry far, will be heard, and can influence larger groups of people.

Then, I think of my grandmother, Nana. Why has my mind wandered her?? Yes, I think she would have signed the Charter whereas my parents would likely have declined to be involved.

Nana moved from Chicago, Illinois right to Hollywood not far from Hollywood & Vine, and the Farmer's Market when my mother was young. Nana worked as a housekeeper for Steve Allen. My mother waited on movies stars along with regular customers. Jack LaLanne, the health food/exercise guru, came to our house. I thought it was so cool to see someone who was on the TV right in my own living room. Nana used to give me movie magazines along with the infamous Enquirer. So I suppose my childhood was colored with a backdrop of celebrities, movie mags, and celebrity gossip. And, I grew up when television was still new and it was still fashionable to see movies at the drive-in.

So many variants in forming and appraising opinions, even my own. And in the end, I am just as excited to be in the company of Golden Hawn, et al. as I was before.
It's just an exciting world.

May you think about living the "Golden Rule". I'm trying to . . .

This morning I'm showing over 15,000 people affirming and supporting the charter

New six word story: They claim compassion as a path.

No comments:

Post a Comment