Friday, November 27, 2009

Hidden Treasure




kindness hidden within small spaces
freeing love through varied actions
knowing we step forward together

"We therefore call upon all men and women ~ to restore compassion to the centre of morality and religion ~ to return to the ancient principle that any interpretation of scripture that breeds violence, hatred or disdain is illegitimate ~ to ensure that youth are given accurate and respectful information about other traditions, religions and cultures ~ to encourage a positive appreciation of cultural and religious diversity ~ to cultivate an informed empathy with the suffering of all human beings—even those regarded as enemies." 6th line of the Charter For Compassion

I worked Thanksgiving Day as I do most years. To use my friend Jan's word, I felt smug being able to offer the gift of a day off to someone else to be with their family. However, there are hidden gifts to working any holiday. With Thanksgiving, most years it has been I have had the pleasure of sitting down to my delicious home cooked meals without having to cook at all.

My favorite thing about working the holidays is how kind, grateful, and appreciate people are when they find someone who can holiday them on a holiday. I always receive many spoken blessings and well wishes. This unsolicited kindness lifts my spirits. I am grateful to be of service.

May we progress towards more and more kindness - it just plain feels good whether it be in the giving or the receiving.

over 23,000 have affirmed the Charter

No comments:

Post a Comment