Monday, August 30, 2010

Tell Me I'm Excellent, Please . . .

"The deepest principle of human nature is the craving to be appreciated." - William James




This version of Maslow's Hierarchy was borrowed from CEO John Mackey's Wholefoods blog. I am hoping neither he nor Abraham Maslow mind..

undefined

So why is the chart popping up in my blog today. Well, because I am banging head lightly against the same proverbial wall. Why should the good work I do be intrinsically satisfying? Why should I need or want external praise? The only out that popped in my mind was to look at Maslow's hierarchy of needs.


Perhaps it is just because it is a part of being human, part of the process.And, it made me feel better to look at this chart.


So, I had an excellent, creative new money saving idea for our clients. I presented it. Even though it was a different way of thinking, I presented it in a way I thought would be easy to implement. And, it was implemented and appears to be working well.


i received kudos from peers yet not a word from management who I presented the idea to. I, actually, think it was an excellent idea and may lead to other similar changes. I presume management thought it at least good enough to implement. Oh, and it even generates new revenue. I am proud of my creative thinking. I give myself an A+.


So why do I care that I didn't receive a written "good job" and thank you? Oh, well, I'll probably asking myself this a few more thousand times. 


"The applause of a single human being is of great consequence." - Samuel Johnson

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I heard somewhere that we are the most "thank you happy" society in the world. Yet, that one unreceived thank you still stings. Guess if we didn't care so much about friends, family, job etc, the lack of appreciation wouldn't matter so much.

    ReplyDelete