Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Ah, Work And Lines

 "There can be no doubt that the average man blames much more than he praises. His instinct is to blame. If he is satisfied he says nothing; if he is not, he most illogically kicks up a row." - Arnold Bennett

a voice informs me of a day to pull your hair our
another chimes in her happiness is below zero
a welcome to our new sort of working time clock

Another week of being understaffed. Ok, I reached the point of wondering about the intrinsic value of being the one who shows up to end with extra work. I have to admit to being suspicious about a few of the call-ins as we have until the end of the year to use "sick" time. I reached the point of, personally, pleading with co-workers to stay for some of the offered overtime. Alas, unsuccessful. However, with just a little less conscience or a little less fear, I could be one of those not showing up tomorrow.

My friend Jan shared an observation early in our friendship that everyone has lines they will or won't cross, but everyone's line is different. Ah, so true.

So proud of myself was I for not having such a negative attitude about the time clock or the fact that my new job title on the time card is Acquisition Employee (actually I was very amused by it) as the "others". Then I noticed another young co-worker who was pleasant to all her customers, all of us, and from whom I never heard a discouraging word the whole day. Wow, did I sound negative to myself when I used her as a point of reference. Bless us all.

There has been quite a bit if banter about naps from those of us who are working. That added to my enjoyment of a cute bit of writing I saw on the blog Disposable Writing:

Email to the coworkers
January29

Team,

I will be enjoying a sandwich tomorrow around lunchtime. I predict this sandwich will be as delicious as it is filling. I am willing to field questions regarding the tastiness of the sandwich following my lunchtime eating session. Please be advised I will be unable to take calls whilst eating the aforementioned sandwich; which, depending on the size of the meal, make take several hours. There is a significant possibility that I shall follow this delicious sandwich with a refreshing nap.

Thanks,
Gavin

And just as I was about to sign off I heard another, different, "line" story

A Chinese provincial shopping center is opening a special parking lot soon exclusively for women drivers that will  include extra lighting and wider spaces to keep down the number of collisions,  the Global Times reports.

Official Wang Zheng told AFP news agency the car park was meant to cater to women's "strong sense of colour and different sense of distance".


May you enjoy a wonderful nap

No comments:

Post a Comment