Thursday, June 28, 2012

Adventures With Kindle

It was only a matter of time before I gave into owning an e-reader. Kindle seemed perfect except you weren't able to borrow from the library. Well, then you could. I still felt reluctant. Edging closer, but ever so kind Amazon allows anyone with a PC to download the Kindle app for free.

The first book I decided to buy and read on my PC wasn't available on kindle. Disappointing.

Then coming closer to the issue, I began to ponder another question. With Kindle, where is the soul of the book? (This one I haven't answered yet)

My nature being both acquisitive and philosophical was resting on a slim edge. I was quickly pushed over when Fred Meyer store offered a $40 gift card with purchase of the Kindle Touch I wanted.

The  first book I tried to buy on my Kindle, not available. So at this point I have only downloaded free books. Reading is very easy, is to hold easy to turn pages. Not as happy with the rest of the navigating, but having read all the rave reviews perhaps my expectations were to high.

I figured out a little late why, even though easy to read, Kindle is nowhere near as satisfying as a book. The answer - I am as much a bibliophile as a reader. . . I remembered when I received a book I ordered  . . . as I sat admiring the cover, paper, typeface, leafing through the pages. . . oh, I just love this new book. . . it is just so satisfying to hold it . . .

The metaphor that appeared was: Kindle is like instant mashed potatoes . . .

With that said, I am greatly enjoying a book I would have never read had I not downloaded it from  free Kindle books: The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme): The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux.;

And, I have had a great deal of fun down loading a number of free "classic" books such as The Book of Tea ; The Art of War; Walden; Thoughts on Art  & Life by Da Vinci. . . so I have expanded my library in ways I had not planned. . . and my life will be enriched in new ways . . .

I do, after  all, enjoy instant mashed potatoes  . . . they are just different.




No comments:

Post a Comment