Thursday, June 7, 2012

Finding Balance

 “Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.” - Thomas Merton

Oh, I am thinking about what to buy next; how do I love stuff let me count the ways.  .  .
I have my eye on a wonderful storage bench, on sale of course. I am feeling some stuff out of place in my living areas to be like pebbles in my shoe. Slowly, ever slowly, I release and catch different object to move towards creating a sense of space, comfort, and solace

17 books made it from my house to Goodwill last month (and I only bought 8 more), with them a storage shelf unit, an old computer monitor (replaced by a lovely sleek one), kitchen items, clothing, and a few miscellaneous other items.

I have been contemplating today taking my dresser to Goodwill, the last remaining piece of furniture I brought with me from California. Still sturdy, functional. . .

I stopped to see what wonderful classes might be happening at East West Bookshop in Seattle. I see, well. . .

Friday, June 8 at East West Seattle
Clutter Busting Your Life: Clearing Physical and Emotional Clutter to Reconnect with Yourself and Others
7:30-9 p.m. Free!
 
Clutter is anything in your life that no longer serves you, creating disorder in your life.  .  .

I went to check out his website www.clutterbusting.com, then I found my way to this perfect excerpt from his blog Clutter Busting with Brooks Palmer:

. . . I said that as clutter busters in our own lives, we are looking for the things that are causing us pain. There's no room in our lives for things that hurt us.

She asked how to know if something makes us feel good or not. I asked if she liked the necklace she was wearing. She confidently said, "Yes, I do!" I said when something is part of our life, we feel a simple yes. It's clean.

. . .

I can't say "Yes" to this dresser any more. Is it impractical, fiscally irresponsible (cuz I will want a new 
one), just a whimsy, poor judgement. Or, like the starving people my parents told me would be grateful
to eat the food I disliked, shouldn't I just be more grateful to have a dresser. Shouldn't I just keep it? If it were a matter of practicality, absolutely.

However, right now, what I know is that it doesn't make my heart happy . . .  and, when I say goodbye to it as I leave it with the nice people at Goodwill, I am sure it will find a place where it will be welcomed into a new home.

“Fortunate indeed, is the man who takes exactly the right measure of himself, and holds a just balance between what he can acquire and what he can use.” - Peter Mere Latham

Working towards balance a long term endeavor

No comments:

Post a Comment