Thursday, June 7, 2012


“I’ve often thought of the forest as a living cathedral, but this might diminish what it truly is. If I have understood Koyukon teachings, the forest is not merely an expression or representation of sacredness, nor a place to invoke the sacred; the forest is sacredness itself. Nature is not merely created by God; nature is God. Whoever moves within the forest can partake directly of sacredness, experience sacredness with his entire body, breathe sacredness and contain it within himself, drink the sacred water as a living communion, bury his feet in sacredness, touch the living branch and feel the sacredness, open his eyes and witness the burning beauty of sacredness”
-- Richard Nelson, The Island Within

wonderful quote posted on goodreads.com.

After reading the quote, I was curious about the book. However, as my life is always filled with miraculous synchronicities, Amazon had two books by that title.

The other book by Ludwig Lewisohn: Written in 1928, "The Island Within" is a chronicle of 3 generations of Jews, beginning in 1840, Vilna, Lithuania. (As far as I know I am still part Lithuanian)

And while I am not getting the Island Within by Mr. Nelson, I did just purchase his other book, Make Prayers to the Raven: A Koyukon View of the Northern Forest, along with Mr. Lewisohn's Island Within.

Teeter Toter of balanced sways. I am by nature acquisitive. . . perhaps I can find some other books to release  . . . perhaps not. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment