Friday, November 30, 2012

Horizon View Park - Lake Forest Park












kind of ironic, usually I am not quick enough to catch an unexpected plane zooming by, but here I am at a site that used to watch foe enemy aircraft . . .






from Lake Forest Park View:

"Little known Horizon View Lake Forest Park fact:  Ready for this one? Horizon View Park used to be a Nike Missile site!  It was the radar tracking portion of the system, but it was right here in Horizon View Park from 1957 until it was decommissioned in 1964.  You can still see the relics if you look closely.  After my daughter beat me at a game of tennis, we wandered up an old staircase that was covered in brambles and seemed to literally lead to nowhere.  I didn’t know it at the time, but this was one of the radar pads left over from the old site – it was still a bit eerie.  The actual launching site is over on 1st and 228th on Nike Hill in Bothell (I also had no idea where the nick name had come from for the hill). Through out the 1950s Seattle got a lot of these installed apparently. "


Dang, I didn't read up on this park before I went, when the rain started getting heavy, I figured I had seen enough . . . apparently I should have continued to wander past the tennis courts . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment