Thursday, February 9, 2012

Threads

threads connect us
circle around and thru
string us together
link us to the past
hold us within the net
inspire us to ease forward
and sometimes allow us
to swing freely

Of Community

Oh how fun to see everyone at Book Club, heartwarming sounds of familiar, friendly voices, beautiful smiles, resounding laughter, curious minds, celebration, affection, getting to share new foods

"Friendship! Mysterious cement of the soul, Sweet'ner of life, and solder of society."
 -Robert Blair

Of Love

What sweet moments when Sandy made her way around the circle to hug everyone before she left; how poignant when Mary arrived after Sandy was gone, and made her way around the circle hugging everyone just as Sandy had done. How amazing these women "separately" made the same physical, loving connection.

“Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years" - Simone Signoret

Of Inspiration

Talking with Mary & Eleanor about music, I learned from them about the internet radio station Pandora. I went home inspired, more than of my CDs and all cassettes are in the car to go to Goodwill.

"No man is wise enough by himself."  - Plautus, Titus Maccius

Of Remembrance

With music comes memories of other times, places. I am remembering the horribly sad way I "lost" most of my favorite record recollection. I lent to my friend Jan Z. Jan went on vacation to Lake Havasu, and didn't make it home alive.

"A spider's web is stronger than it looks. Although it is made of thin, delicate strands, the web is not easily broken. However, a web gets torn every day by the insects that kick around in it, and a spider must rebuild it when it gets full of holes...." E.B. White

Of Old Adventures

I remember how Jan and her sister Barbara invited me to go to San Francisco with their friend Mark. I was still living at home with protective parents. I told my family I was spending the weekend with my friend Jan full well knowing they would think it was another friend they already met.

We arrived in San Francisco in the early am, Mark took us to an all night restaurant. Jan, Barbara and I
noted we were the only women in their. Barbara exclaimed how very strange it was none of the men in
there were looking at her. Mark had taken us to gay male hang out. Jan and I were busting up laughing while Barbara was still trying to fathom not drawing a single male glance.

And because we were young, not rich, the hotel for the night was the back of their van. I was to excited, and restless to sleep, and too dumb to think it unsafe to be out in an unknown city. So I quietly crept out of the van, and I began to walk around the streets of San Francisco in the middle of the night. Hard to see much in the dark, however ever so young and curious I continued walking. At a stop light, I had a fellow pedestrian, we quickly became acquainted. And a beautiful curly haired man name Mario walked around the city together until dawn. I can't remember a word of what we talked about or where in the city we were other than downtown. . . I just remembered how exciting it was, and his beautiful
curly hair and smile . . . and that I wrote a poem about him. . . oh, and that Jan and Barbara were horrified about the fact I went out into the night alone, I was 19.

"Aloneness and connection are like tides in the sea of your heart, separate tides, flowing in and out." - M. C. Richards.

Of Renewal

As I transferred new CDs to my laptop, I decided to release the radio with cassette player I will no longer need,  a few more pieces of clothing, a blanket I never loved, a few more books

Of Beginnings

I now await the bringers of packages. So will be the arrival of a new blanket, a couple of new shirts, new books. The new radio is already here a 5 year anniversary gift from work with an atomic clock, a line in for an MP3 player, and a feature that will play colors with music if I choose.

Of Metaphors

gazing at my old jeans i see a comrade
softened with age, flexible from experience
well woven threads of many different strands & strengths

No comments:

Post a Comment