Thursday, August 23, 2012

Boeing Creek Park - North side



 Thoughtful planners placed this bench half way around the loop. It was great place to eat lunch, and watch people take laps around the loop. Many had dogs. I was admiring a woman who appeared to at least 8 months pregnant running laps with a gentleman I presumed was her husband; and an elderly couple with their dog who spoke with me each lap. I told them they inspired me - they did. I saw my next bench up ahead - no sense rushing things.




I was at the southern end of the park area around Greenwood Ave and Carlyle Hall Rd called Shoreview Park when I was trying to find my way back here which is at 175th and 3rd, (sadly for me I hadn't remembered the streets, and I didn't have my camera with me that day) I had no idea it was all the same park. I haven't made it to Hidden Lake yet from either side. But it is on my list.


wow apparently the whole street gave with rains in 1996.

Now a bit of Wiki info I had to look up about the area:

Boeing Creek is a stream in the U.S. state of Washington, located in the city of Shoreline, just north of Seattle. It is about 1.6 miles (2.6 km) long and empties into Puget Sound.[3] The creek is heavily modified along its course, and in many places has been diverted into culverts. The watershed of Boeing Creek is about 11.2 square miles (29 km2) in size, with two main tributaries aside from the mainstem. The creek takes its name from William Boeing, who built a mansion along the creek in 1913. Despite the river modifications and stormwater pollution, the creek supports a variety of riparian habitats, native animals and fishes.

Hmmmm, just I have two just questions this must be the Boeing of The Boeing Company (ok not born here so I really don't know. How cool he had a mansion here somewhere; and what is riparian - not a word I know.

So time to learn a little more - the first time I have had the conscious thought what a blessing the internet is for the curious, and how easy for a quick knowledge fix is Wikipedia. Copy and paste even included the links, oh so easy.

So this one wiki paragraph told me enough to satisfy me for now, yes it is that Boeing:

Boeing was born in Detroit, Michigan to a wealthy German mining engineer named Wilhelm Böing who had made a fortune and who had a sideline as a timber merchant.[1] Anglicizing his name to "William Boeing" after returning from being educated in Switzerland in 1900 to attend Yale University,[2] William Boeing left Yale in 1903 to go into the lumber side of the business. He bought extensive timberlands around Grays Harbor on the Pacific side of the Olympic Peninsula. He also bought into lumber operations. He also owned a race track for horses. While president of Greenwood Timber Company, Boeing, who had experimented with boat design, traveled to Seattle, where, during the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition in 1909, he saw a manned flying machine for the first time and became fascinated with aircraft. He soon purchased an airplane from the Glenn L. Martin Company, and received flying lessons from Martin himself. Boeing soon cracked up the plane. When he was told by Martin that replacement parts would not become available for months, Boeing blew up. He angrily told his friend Cdr. G.C. Westervelt USN that "We could build a better plane ourselves and build it faster". Westervelt agreed. They soon built and flew the B&W Flying Boat, an amphibian biplane that had outstanding performance. Boeing decided to go into the aircraft business and bought an old boat works on the Duwamish River near Seattle for his factory.

And, of course, much more at wiki site on Mr. Boeing.

But what is riparian:

A riparian zone or riparian area is the interface between land and a river or stream. Riparian is also the proper nomenclature for one of the fifteen terrestrial biomes of the earth. Plant habitats and communities along the river margins and banks are called riparian vegetation, characterized by hydrophilic plants. Riparian zones are significant in ecology, environmental management, and civil engineering because of their role in soil conservation, their habitat biodiversity, and the influence they have on fauna and aquatic ecosystems, including grassland, woodland, wetland or even non-vegetative. In some regions the terms riparian woodland, riparian forest, riparian buffer zone, or riparian strip are used to characterize a riparian zone. The word "riparian" is derived from Latin ripa, meaning river bank.

Ok, I can probably guess what hydrophilic plants are but another word I don't remember seeing. Sweet nostalgia pops - we were the family that kept a dictionary at the dinner table - ah, it is probably genetic.
And, come to think of I don't remember anyone else I have visited who kept their dictionary there (and it was not a big table).

So hydrophilic link begins one to:

Aquatic plants are plants that have adapted to living in aquatic environments (saltwater or freshwater). They are also referred to as hydrophytes or aquatic macrophytes. These plants require special adaptations for living submerged in water, or at the water's surface - the most common adaptation is aerenchyma, but floating leaves and finely dissected leaves are also common.[1][2][3] Aquatic plants can only grow in water or in soil that is permanently saturated with water. They are therefore a common component of wetlands.[4

One paragraph is enough. Oh, no - aerenchyma - what is that . . . I did click the link but my brain is tired now . . .

Enough of words for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment