Thursday, August 27, 2009

Communication & Language Conundrums

"Our destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." Henry Miller

An interesting day - the first thing I read today perplexed me, at least momentarily - fall prevention - I thought why on earth would anyone want to prevent fall with all the beautiful color changes in the leaves, the blustery winds, harvests - then I read further. Oh, the other fall. Language can offer up opportunities for bridges or barriers.

The next word challenge, a much needed haircut. The stylist initial question was a warning that there would be a few bumps in the encounter: "So you want your hair shortened to the same length it is now?" . This in response to my indicating I wanted in cut about 3 inches. Which she did, when I indicated that it was still too long, we reached an impasse. After a couple requests, she just kept stating you said 3 inches, I cut 3 inches. I don't understand what you want. As I was the only customer in the shop, the manager heard the interchange and came over. Hearing the request, and seeing the stylist looking perplexed, the manager simply took her scissors. The stylist started to protest, and try to stop her, still saying, "but she said . . . I got a decent haircut sort close to what I want. And, the customer savvy
manager gave me an unrequested discount (which I actually tried to turn down).

I left realizing how fragile communication can be, and in many ways I often do expect the stylists to be mind readers. I was grateful that I could realize that some of the responsibility for the lack of clarity rested squarely with me. Glad that my inclination was towards understanding rather than blame. I expressed to the manager. "she did nothing wrong, we just didn't communicate." And that was what I felt, and a small urge to chuckle a the conversational gap we created.

"Your best way is not mine." David K. Reynolds

No comments:

Post a Comment