Saturday, July 3, 2010

Further Adventures Of The Almost Perfect Day



“Friends are like cupcakes in my pantry of memories.” - Anonymous

Before I had a Yellow Leaf Bakery cupcake, I couldn't relate to the quote above, but that, too, changed on my almost perfect day . . .

I invited a co-worker to go with me to see Nadia Duvan, and participate in a Siberian Group Soul Retrieval at East West Bookshop. I am both very pleased and a little surprised she accepted my invitation.

So off to Belltown to pick her up.

I am happy, I get parking right in front of her building. She invites me up to see her new home. I gaze east in time to see the monorail coast by. A bit of surprise -  I had to wait for a horse drawn carriage before crossing the street.

A delightful surprise awaited me inside. Knowing my love of bacon, Christina bought me a Bacon N' Pancake Cupcake from a local Belltown bakery, Yellow Leaf Cupcake Company (more on the culinary treat later). Yum.

I get to see some remodeling in process. I am, again, impressed today. This time by the ingenuity of Christina's plans; and the amount of work already invested in her condo remodeling. Oh, and she repaired her own dryer by looking up troubleshooting information online, and replacing the needed part.

Off to the Roosevelt District to East West to see Nadia.

"Nadia, from the village of Bulava in southeastern Siberia, is the last practicing shaman of her people, the Ulchi people. She and Jan Van Ysslestyne are contributing authors to the book First Fish, First People, Salmon Tales of the North Pacific Rim." As Jan would say later in evening, the Ulchi are a culture that will probably soon be extinct. Currently, their population of about 2300 continues to decline. Jan is one of two English speakers who have learned Nadia's language, Ulchi.

I am blessed with an easy access free parking spot. We are early enough to get my favorite place next to altar in the northwest part of the circle. I briefly pondered the metaphor - I feel most comfortable and like I belong in the northwest.

I am excited to be sharing the experience, and by the fact I will be seeing Nadia and Jan again. I try to see Nadia every year she comes here from her Siberian village, She didn't come last year. I have missed seeing her. She and Jan V. feel like part of my spiritual family.

This year, she has asked us to use our drums and rattles to raise the energy of the room and group before she started her journey. It was, also, fun and a good release to participate in making a beautiful noise.

Nadia enters the room in traditional Ulchi dress, and takes great pleasure in watching the drumming and dancing that ensued. Jan takes her place. Nadia, as per their tradition, will sing (and dance) the entire journey in ulchi. Jan writes down everything said to share with us later.

Nadia always shows great respect asking permission of, and expressing gratitude to the local spirits for being allowed to be there to help us. She journeyed, drummed, danced. I watched inner landscapes change, shift, saw the faces of ancient grandmothers watching over us. She finished and left the room.

Jan then gave us the translation of what was said. Laughingly, she reminded us when Nadia was talking to the different spirits and ancestors she (Jan) was only hearing what Nadia said not the spirits reply.

Her translation confirmed some of what I saw and, of course, more.

I shall continue my account later or tomorrow as I am ready to drift back to sleep. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment