Friday, July 16, 2010

Poetic Threads

I woke up from a dream with the words "someday I will write I love you across the sky with rose petals". Ah, a beautiful thought/line, but what or who was I dreaming about . . .

"For us, there is not just this world, there's also a layering of others. Time is not divided by minutes and hours, and everything has presence and meaning within this landscape of timeliness." - Joy Harjo

what is the difference between vacant and empty, a void and an opening . . .

From Charles Olson's poem, These Days, referenced in John's Fox's book Poetic Medicine:

whatever you have to say, leave
the roots, on let them
dangle
And the dirt
Just to make clear
where they have come from

                           Haiga 7

the poetry of my youth
was words yanked from murky depths
yanked up with dangling participles
bits of blood, soul and anguish
brought nearly to sunlight
then quickly swallowed with sobs
few fertile words escaping to paper

right now I do not search for roots
I prefer the ease of picking blueberries
juicy, sweet, tangible pleasures

- lrb

No comments:

Post a Comment