Friday, February 1, 2013

Maps


 “They were maps that lived, maps that one could study, frown over, and add to; maps, in short, that really meant something.”
- Gerald Durrell, My Family and Other Animals  



My poor paper maps only continue to get more tattered, and I was ecstatic when the restaurant had a map reference I had totally forgotten about . . . the local telephone book  . . . up to date paper maps . . . only it dawns on me as I write  . . . auto club surely they must have current paper maps . . .and I even have a phone that has GPS apps . . . but I don't want to just get there I want to see the context, and picture of the area . . .I have always loved maps . . . guess it is sort of the book vs Kindle thing . . .

I noticed a disclaimer type on Google I never bothered to read before:

"These directions are for planning purposes only. You may find that construction projects, traffic, weather, or other events may cause conditions to differ from the map results, and you should plan your route accordingly. You must obey all signs or notices regarding your route."

Hmmm


“Maps codify the miracle of existence.”
Nicholas Crane, Mercator: The Man Who Mapped the Planet 


Well, I just talked myself right into ordering a book about a cartographer - Mercator, should be interesting.






No comments:

Post a Comment