Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Taking Chances

With such an intense work week, still processing the Grief Workshop, seeing my teacher Nadia here for her annual visit from Siberia for a group healing ritual, I put down my non-fiction reading from almost two days. I decided to enjoy a murder mystery by Louise Penny. I have read two in the series previously, this one was "The First Chief Inspector Gamache Novel". Set in Canada with the Gamache being of the Surete du Quebec, the series have the satisfaction of being set in a different culture than where I spend my days. Which means new words, new ideas, new perspective.
I think she has nicely complex characters.
And Ms. Penny's quote from Chief Inspector Gamache is the one that hangs at the entrance to my cube at work. In this first book, it is the Chief Inspector telling the new member of his team that there are four sentences we learn to say and mean:

"I don't know. I need help. I'm sorry. I'm wrong."

Can't you how much I love this simple yet profound bit of wisdom.

And there is a very, sweet, funny, touching scene where the new investigator while trying to search a potential suspects bathroom sees the sticker on the mirror which said something like "You are looking at the problem" whereupon she searched the entire area she saw reflected in the mirror clueless as to the point. Yet, how many of us to the same thing in so many situations, carefully laying blame. I would like not to
be guilty of being clueless or missing the point, However, if I am truly clueless how would I know??
So I finished and enjoy my book. Today as the nearest book, I picked it for some random wisdom after some park visit that tried my nerves just a bit.
LOL - my universe loves me as the random page I selected was about this character, Chief Inspector Gamache, who though portrayed as human, also, is very wise. The place I turned to his where is having to talk himself in climbing up into a tree house as he is afraid of heights.
Why is this so wonderful - well. I balk at the idea of seeing the parks on the top of Queen Anne Hill every time it comes to mind. So, traffic accident, being stuck in a no turn lane, detour here - voila I am on the road that leads up to Queen Anne Hill. There was one last option to turn right before the end. I took a deep breath, said "Oh, come, it is ok, it is ok it is ok, thousands of people do this, people this everyday, and I bet you won't fall off. LOL. And voila, I didn't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment