Wednesday, September 5, 2012

And the Wheatland Ferry


Well, I saw the park sign, but didn't go inside to see the park. I had to drive through St. Paul - no population






and wandering down a country road, as I did leave the freeway again, I saw a sign for the Wheatland Ferry, there is the waiting area above in Willamette Mission State Park  - here's Wiki info

The Wheatland Ferry is a cable ferry that connects Marion County and Yamhill County across the Willamette River in the U.S. state of Oregon. The ferry travels approximately 580 feet (178 meters) across the river, depending on the height of the river, and is powered by two electric motors connected to an on-board diesel generator. The ferry is supported by two steel cables, one under water on the downriver side, and one overhead on the upriver side. The ferry also uses the overhead cable for steering.





it holds nine cars, ride took about 2 minutes. I was going to get up closer for a better picture, but I happen to pull my car over just before a state van that stopped to let out an inmate work crew, the sheriff was staring at me as I was taking pictures - too much TV - I was afraid I was looking like the getaway car.

So here's the wiki ferry photo


Wheatland Ferry approaching east landing P2326.jpeg


No comments:

Post a Comment