Friday, September 11, 2009

Diversity - Spritually Satisfying


"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

I went to the Interfaith Service at Lynnwood, WA, Unity Church tonight. First, I was delighted to see what a beautiful church they have with long open windows that allow you to feel you are in a grove as you are surrounded with a view of trees.

It was the 15th year this congregation had held this service. The prayer theme was Reach In Reach Out We Can Change the world. This was the perfect service for me. The music was a beautiful blend of voices, languages, traditions. The harmonizing of the voices was pleasing even more so was the weaving of Hindu, Islam, and English lyrics.

A representative of the Islamic faith sang a beautiful Muslim prayer, a Buddhist teacher read an inspiring poem, there was a Native prayer to the 4 directions, a Cherokee morning song, an African prayer, a Jewish prayer, a Hindu prayer. Each nourishing in a different way touching parts of my soul. Some familiar, some totally new experiences. And the ending prayer was the beloved favorite below:

Prayer of St. Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

Amen.

My first visit was very emotionally & spiritually satisfying. Thank you, Mary, for opening the door that brought me to this experience.

late night silent prayers
morning prayers aloud
all prayers awash with love

No comments:

Post a Comment