Sunday, September 20, 2009

Simple Cooking Wisdom - Edward Epse Brown




"Enchant, stay beautiful and graceful, but do this, eat well. Bring the same consideration to the preparation of your food as you devote to your appearance. Let your dinner be a poem, like your dress." - Charles Pierre Monselet

Wisdom from Edward Espe Brown's book Tomato Blessings and Radish Teachings - Recipes & Reflections:

"What makes food food interests me deeply. Not everything that is edible nourishes the spirit, or soothes our deeper hungers, and for food to be food it must  feed. We all know this, and that each of us is nourished by particular foods. Still we forget at times that it is not just the food  in front of us, but our readiness to receive, to be blessed with food, that allows food to be the feeding."

I had the pleasure of hearing Ed Brown speak at Third Place Books this week as they have released the Complete Tassajara Cookbook which includes many of the stories and recipes from Tomato Blessings book I quoted above. He is a cook, author and Zen priest.

For many years I had loudly proclaimed that I am not a cook. I have been changing that perception as I have always cooked things for myself that are delicious. After hearing Ed, I realize what I am is not a follower of recipe books.
The first thing I remember him saying is, "Taste what you put in your mouth." Such simple wisdom.

He talked about people worrying about cooking because it may not turn out right, i.e. exactly like the book says. And how we give up our capacity to make choices to follow what someone else tells us. And he shared anecdotes about writing a recipe with instructions to add seasoning to taste, and his editor leaving a sticky note: How much?.

It was the most refreshing talk on cooking I've ever heard, an affirmation and reminder. What a concept taste your food, relate to your food, use your own knowledge, and if you make a "mistake" you've something. I recommend any of his books which are available directly through Shambala Publications as well as bookstores. All his recipes are vegetarian.

"Food, like a loving touch or a glimpse of divine power, has that ability to comfort." - Norman Kolpas

dustings with earthy brown
simmering pieces golden orange
ah, cinnamon on warm mangoes


May you be nourished by that which surrounds you

No comments:

Post a Comment