Friday, September 18, 2009

Path of Lovingkindness & Happy Rosh Hashanah





 “The highest form of wisdom is kindness” The Talmud

I showed up for work one day recently to find peppermint candies laid out all along  
my desk, and a note in large letters that said, "You Are Loved". This seemingly simple act touched me very deeply. And, the pleasure deepened when I overheard the co-worker telling some, . . ."and then I heard her making all these happy noises and I knew why". I enjoyed every peppermint, kept the note, the the beautiful memory.

There is so much we can do on a daily basis to uplift the world and those around us.

The excerpt below is from one of my favorite books by Rabbi David A. Cooper, God Is A Verb:

The path of generosity was enormously respected by the sages. The Talmud says, however, that "Our rabbis taught that lovingkindness (gemulit chesed) is superior to charity in three ways. 1) Charity can be done only with one's possessions, while lovingkindness can be done with one's person and one's possessions 2) Charity can be given only to the poor, while lovingkindness can be given to both rich and poor. 3) Charity can be given to the living only, while lovingkindness can be done both for the living and the dead."

“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” Anne Frank

kindness lightens me
deeply it flows in
wraps heart in laughter

may your new year be filled with lovingkindess, love, beauty, laughter, health, peace, grace, learning & prosperity


1 comment: