Thursday, July 11, 2013

Change and Flux

fresh white new open page
offering self to creation
one mark begins the journey


so happy about the upcoming change in my work schedule . ..  I came home last night, and picked up my sketchbook, haven't done that in a long, long time. Extra exciting, I picked up a brand new, fresh, untouched one . . . just plain fun starting out fresh.

Wish I could say I felt like I drew something brilliant, nope, not feeling brilliant. More important than than pretty or brilliant, it was satisfying and fun, even meaningful to look at, touching something deeper, deeper than the lines on the page, remnants of other places, other beings, other stories . . . 

going to have to get the new computer hooked up to the scanner so I can get in there and play with the images some more . . .

"Without accepting the fact that everything changes, we cannot find perfect composure.  But unfortunately, although it is true, it is difficult for us to accept it.  Because we cannot accept the truth of transience, we suffer."  ~Shunryu Suzuki
The immediate side effect of the change in my hours is joy (as my boss asks when do you think your new hours - how about now or now or now), and there will be new challenges as well. Change is normal whether I believe it is or not, whether I want it or not. Watching others shift with my change interesting. Makes me happy, makes my boss happy, the people I will be working with even more happy. That is nice, better than nice to be wanted, trusted, and appreciated.


I am remembering the first draw to this job was at least being able to work afternoons. I have done  5 am, 8 am starts at other jobs, some lasting for years. I did love getting off so early in the day there was still time for a road trip.

I, also, remember the HR person who interviewed me for my current job. She was the first and only person in my professional life that acknowledged, and seemed to get that not everyone was by nature a day person. She said something about there being larks and owls. She was a lark and I was owl. A very sweet, apt metaphor I still remember.



No comments:

Post a Comment