Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Artistic Adventure - Burien Interim Arts Space



 "Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." -
Thomas Merton

I had the pleasure of driving my friend Jan to the airport this morning. She is offer to join family for a reunion in Oklahoma. Hopefully a restful week for her sitting around the campfire at the lake, enjoying family comfort food and conversation.

For an excellent start to the journey, we had a delicious breakfast at a Mukilteo restaurant Patty's Eggnest. Besides the food being just plain good, they win extra points from me for including fresh fruit as an option (at no extra charge) in place of hash browns.


We had a typical autumn day as background. Started sunny out, massively poured rain during breakfast, stopped before we left the restaurant, drizzling as we drove south, sunny again by the time I left Jan at the airport, pouring rain right after I took these photos. Weather here in Washington is still sometimes an enigma to the former Californian. It can literally be rainy one block and sunny the next.

Since I was nearly in Burien,  I decided to visit a place I'd heard about downtown where artists took over a vacant lot as a temporary art space. I understand anyone who wants to can display/leave their artwork there.

I am delighted to share photos I took of this temporary sculpture park, Burien Interim Art Space. I found the information on the site at City Art Magazine in an article entitled Sudden Sculpture by Virginia Wright:

"The two-story-tall centerpiece of the site is The Passage, by Dan Das Mann and Karen Cusolito, which depicts a pair of figures constructed entirely of scrap and recycled metal. The larger figure passes liquid fire to the smaller one through enormous steel fingers."

It is so pleasing to see the development of this impromptu museum. Taking what appears to have been a parking lot and turning it into an eclectic outdoor exhibition. Had it not been for the impending rain (and already wet chairs) I would have been contented to sit there peacefully for sometime.

While for looking some information tonight about the artists whose work decorates the Art Space, I discovered another place I didn't know existed, the Monarch Sculpture Park. It is an 80-acre facility in the foothills of Mount Rainer, Tenino, Washington. This looks like a good place for a future adventure.

not with wild abandon
safe journey of discovery
curiosity mixed with a plan

"Art is an invention of aesthetics, which in turn is an invention of philosophers... What we call art is a game." - Octavio Paz



May you enjoy that which surrounds you

No comments:

Post a Comment