Thursday, October 15, 2009

October Book Club

 "I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." - Jorge Luis Borges

Last night was my monthly Book Club. I greatly enjoyed seeing again Eleanor who had been away for part of the summer. It was satisfying and fun as always to see Mary and Kathleen.  We were missing Sandy, Jan, Claire, and Carol. Jan is off to fallen reunion in Oklahoma. Claire's sister is visiting, and are going a trip down the coast. Carol living a bit further away now wasn't going to be there.

But we hadn't heard anything from Sandy. I had especially waiting to see her for a number of reasons. First, it was she who recommended this months book, The Shack by Wiiliam P. Young. I was looking forward to telling her I loved it. ( a quote from the site, The shack book.com - "It offers one of the most poignant views of God and how he relates to humanity that has been written in our time.")

Also, I was looking forward to hearing her input on the book, about blogging, and her life in general. I found out reading email today she came and we missed each other. This is so sad. I am very sorry Sandy. We had to move to a different table in a different area than the one we normally sit at. We thought we were keeping an out of for Sandy though we hadn't had confirmation she would be there. When Kathleen found has in the other area I guess we had a false sense we weren't too hidden. Sandy, I think we failed you. It was a definite loss not to have your company, sense of humor, and insights.

We had a nice discussion about the book, our lives, health, jobs, computers. As always it was warm, stimulating, comfortable, and enriching time. Hopefully, we will see everyone at the November meeting. I am going out now to buy a health supplement recommended by Mary for joint pain, Sam-E, grapefruit (Kathleen mentioned eating them with eggs - it sounded so good). And tonight, thanks to Eleanor, I'll sign to use RSS at Google Reader, and investigate Google Wave.

For next month, we'll be reading Water For Elephants by Sara Guen. Mary asked that we add Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Stout to the Book Club reading list - I  see it won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2009. And, though I didn't didn't bring it up at Book Club, I am looking forward to adding a book by Pico Iyer to our reading list after enjoying his book, Abandon. I just haven't decide which one to suggest yet.

Currently, I am reading and enjoying a book by local author, Paul Loeb, Soul Of a Citizen: Living With Conviction In a Cynical Time. And, I am looking forward to reading some as yet selected mystery novel on the side.

"A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face.  It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy."  - Edward P. Morgan

May you find a little time to commune with a book

No comments:

Post a Comment