Saturday, October 10, 2009

Clouds


"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add colour to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

painting space with pink and white
sky laced with wire and clouds
glimpsing a free and tethered life

I enjoyed my horoscope for this week in Seattle Weekly's Astrology column, Sign Language

Aquarius (Jan. 20–Feb. 18)

Speaking the truth isn't endearing. It's 90 percent more likely to earn you enemies (or frenemies) than telling polite falsehoods. However, your #1 goal in life shouldn't be to have everyone like you. It should be to abide by a set of principles and stick to them even when it's not easy. In this case, that means speaking an unpopular truth. Why, you may ask, does this burden so frequently fall on you? It's really simple: You're one of the few people who can clearly see the truth. Of those people, you're one of the even fewer who can properly articulate it. Of those people, you're one of the rarest of them all: someone with the courage to do exactly that.

I find it a flattering assessment that I philosophically agree with. However, in practice, it is not always easy to speak the truth. And so, I do my best to tell the truth as I judge it when I feel it is wise or when I just can't seem to hold my tongue. What my horocope have to do with clouds, nothing, of course. Both the beautiful sky and the interesting newsprint crossed paths with me today and brought points to ponder and savor. And here I am notating my day.

“In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.” - Buddha

May you have a moment to gaze at the sky

No comments:

Post a Comment