Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Savoring Life



"Because I have traveled, I can see other universes in the eyes of strangers. I know what parts of me I cannot deny and what parts of me are simply choices that I make."  - Kent Nerburn in Simple Truths: Clear & Gentle Guidance on the Big Issues in Life

I awoke with an inner voice calling out for an adventure. My usual Mondays include enjoying every last minute in bed prior to work. Today, maybe the prompting was stronger or maybe having a blog where I could post new photos was just enough motivation to encourage me to move outside my pattern. And a very satisfying choice it was. Or still perhaps, it was a calling . . .

Within a few minutes of where I live, I took a turn down a street I hadn't been on before, seeing parts of a neighborhood new to me. Within a course of 2 to 3 hours, I did this a dozen more times. I had a very expansive feeling looking up one street climbing a hill that there must be millions streets out there I've never seen. At the time, I was just enjoying the openness of the feeling. Now, recounting it, I'm thinking I can never run out of new things to see and experience. And, familiar is so deeply satisfying. Um, good.



adventure to a known place
the ticket is an open heart
corner turned bridge appears
supporting many journeys
while holding the inbetween
visible guardian of space

I was able to enjoy a delicious meal at the Full Moon Thai in Richmond Beach with friendly and gracious restaurant staff. The experience was enriched by the peaceful, spacious, and beautifully decorated two story dining area. My surprise at the end was the after "dinner" candies at the register. Did know that they make Tootsie Rolls in lime and vanilla flavors now? I didn't.



Atypically, I decided to go across the street after dinner to have a cup of Chai at the Richmond Beach Coffee Company. Also, greeted by a friendly staff, I was even more pleased that they bring your drink to your table. This is not the usual service for our Coffee/Espresso places here. Their decorate was a mix of old furniture with sitting inside and out. It was the perfect place to sit, write, read, oh, and enjoy some tasty Chai.



I am slowly reading Kent Nerburn's book Simple Truths which I definitely recommend. Library of Congress has it catalogued first in a category I don't remember seeing before: Conduct of Life. Just interesting. Actually, I am re-reading it. As I finished it the first time in a day. Now, I am going back and savoring it as there are so many beautiful sentences and ideas to enjoy. . . some of which you see here.

"I know the blessings of my own table and the warmth of my own bed. I know how much of life is pure chance, and how great a gift I have been given to be who I am." - Kent Nerburn in Simple Truths

Many you savor moments new and familiar

No comments:

Post a Comment