Monday, October 12, 2009

Columbus Day or Thanksgiving


 "Grace isn't a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It's a way to live." -Jackie Windspear


I paused a little longer than usual today to reflect on the fact that we "celebrate" Columbus Day. I always take note, but usually with a feeling of sadness wondering with deaths and tragedies that occurred with this "discovery" why this would be considered a holy day. I rather liked Venezuela's celebrating the Day of Indigenous Resistance (Dia de la Resistencia Indigena); or maybe the Costa Rican Day of the Cultures (Dia de las Culturas). Most my life celebrating Columbus' arrival here as discovery seemed like an affront to the indigenous peoples and their sufferings.

Though I don't sense a fond connection to this holiday, I realize I wasn't there when it all happened. I can acknowledge sailing so far from Europe to reach these lands was a daunting task, and a major accomplishment. Blending of cultures has always caused unforeseen changes both destructive and magnificent as has our need for more, "better", different.

cultures collide, clash, and blend
sparking indeterminable change
becoming euroamerican legacy me

I decided that it is easier to take a Canadian path today for my heart is healthy in a state of gratitude:

“A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed … to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October."

"When eating bamboo sprouts, remember the man who planted them." - Chinese Proverb

May you find a reason for giving thanks today and, hopefully, everyday

No comments:

Post a Comment