Thursday, October 29, 2009

Holly Near, Emma's Revolution, Hedgebrook - Inspiring

“When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others.” - Peace Pilgrim

I had a wonderful time going to see Holly Near and Emma's Revolution doing a benefit concert for Hedgebrook in Langley, WA. The journey had an auspicious start when a kind woman working at the toll booth for the Mukilteo ferry noticed my cane on the seat beside me. She gently inquired if it was mine, "yes". Then told me that I would save me $4 dollars on a roundtrip fare. It so considerate, and I couldn't help but feel uplifted by the fact she wanted to help. And, for that moment, it turned what I tend to view as a weakness into a financial boon.

The fun and good luck continued when my car was guided into a space I've never parked I before. The car was pointed so I could directly look out my front windshield to this the view on the side of the boat. Once under way, I easily sat on the hood of the car to enjoy the view.

With good directions and Langley being a small town, I arrived at the concert venue early - Langley Middle School. I can't remember the last time I was on a middle school campus. I overheard others remarking on the same thing. I was grateful to get a seat in the 7th row though all the seats in a school auditorium are excellent compared to larger concert halls.

Much too my surprise, the seats in this school auditorium were roomier and more comfortable than the last movie theater I was in. They were just plain old fold up curved, laminated plywood set on metal. Come to think of kind of like the old theater seats my friend, Jan has in her living room only blond in color. A good reminder that new isn't always better. And the padded chairs weren't as comfortable a well crafted wood.

It was a good turn out. It was another surprise to find ALL the money from the sales of the tickets went to Hedgebrook, an extra benefit for my entertainment.

As always, Holly was funny, inspiring, and brought us to both tears and laughter. It was a fun to see her performing with some I have never seen before two women (Pat Humphries & Sandy O) called Emma's Revolution. All three harmonized well. It's nice to see artists collaborate and share the stage.

I was stuck by some of her comments like - 53,000 soldiers are AWOL.  Even if it's only close to that number it's more than I would have ever imagined. And support was requested in whatever way we can for those who are struggling to stop "coal mining" by way of the government sanctioned bombing of Appalachia.

Part of her charm is to inspire and involve the audience in singing along. Which we did with vigor.

beautiful voices saturated with festive memories
audience empowered with hope, love and perspective
social activists soulful beings giving all to inspire

The executive director stated her goal was to get everyone attending the concert to sign up for their mailing list so we could all find out what happens at Hedgebrook, and including author events in the Seattle area. So if you have an interest here's the address to request being added to their mailing list: mailinglist@hedgebrook.org.

Now another plug for a new found worthy cause, the local place that nurtures women writers. See the Hedgebrook Writers Bookshelf at Powell Books.  When you visit Powell’s Books via the link on the Hedgebrook website 7.5% of any purchase you make goes to benefit Hedgebrook.  So, support writers and Hedgebrook at the same time by clicking on the Powell’s icon.


It turns out one of the women on the writers panel, Stephanie Kallos, that I saw at Third Place books is a Hedgebrook alumnae. I think I liked to read her first book, Broken for You.

“Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away.”  - Robert Fulghum

May peace be with you, peace, salaam, shalom


No comments:

Post a Comment