Friday, October 9, 2009

Richmond Beach Saltwater Park


“for whatever we lose (like a you or a me) / it's always ourselves we find in the sea” - e.e. cummings

deep silent rippling paths
shining shifting shimmering
sunset ships and the sea

As my days off were winding down, I felt the pull to do a small bit of wandering. Richmond Beach is relatively close yet I a place I rarely visit. It was an excellent choice for a peaceful view of the Puget Sound at sunset. The park is layered so it was easy to find a silent reflective place of my own. Always restorative.

Next stop dinner. I had an unusual experience while enjoying my dinner. A gorgeous well dressed looking young man came up and asked if he could join me. Without much thought, I responded that I wasn't looking for company.  After he left, of course, I wondered why he had wanted to join me, if in my younger days I would have said yes, and if I missed some special gift. But, the truth is I was really enjoying my dinner, my company, and the free newspapers gathered up to look at. There is something luxurious about dining out on a Friday night and having new material to read. While the company of a stranger may have been an interesting adventure, I am grateful that I am satisfied in being alone.

“There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul” - Victor Hugo

No comments:

Post a Comment