Monday, October 5, 2009

Process and Prospective



I had the opportunity to hear the co-author of the Toltec I Ching, William Douglas Horden, speak at East West Bookshop in Seattle. According to the authors beautiful and very informative site, The Toltec I Ching Blog:

"The Toltec I Ching, by Martha Ramirez-Oropeza and William Douglas Horden recasts the I Ching in the symbology of the Native Americans of ancient Mexico and includes original illustrations interpreting each of the hexagrams.  Its subtitle, 64 Keys to Inspired Action in the New World hints at its focus on the ethics of the emerging world culture."

William began the evening by stating it was important that he met each of us. He proceeded to introduce himself and shake the hand of each person there. This was a warm, welcoming, and heart opening gesture. After attending hundreds of author events over the years, this was a first for me. Therefore, I was impressed with his willingness to share not only information, but, also, himself.

A show of hands in the room indicated that more of us were familiar with the I Ching than the Toltec teaching. I expected then we would began with new information. Instead William went on to outline the basics of I Ching, nature of cycles, within the whole. Then, after starting with what was familiar, he blended in some of the basics of the Toltec teachings. While I always enjoy information, I ended up more impressed with process of the presentation.

I loved an affirmation he likes to use, "I am part of the whole that wants the best for me and all others at the same time."

I was left with a perspective shifting idea when someone asked about the Mayan Calendar. William mentioned in passing that there are Meso-American calendars with dates 14 trillion years in the future.

tomorrow may not look the same
it may be brighter, deeper or pastel
tomorrow like today will be unique

"He'd come all the way her to live differently, but what use of any of it if he changed only his circumstances, not his eyes?" Pico Iyer, Abandon

No comments:

Post a Comment