Friday, October 16, 2009

Diwali Festival of Lights - Thank You Mother Lakshmi



 "Fortunate is the one who has learned to Admire, but not to envy. Good wishes for a joyous Diwali with a plenty of peace and prosperity." - Sakshi

It is time for me to celebrate more wonderful holy days, Diwali/Deepawali. It is celebrated in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism. There is wonderful detailed information and at Karunamayi's website. And, here's a description from the website Diwali Festival:

Diwali is one of the biggest festival of Hindus, celebrated with great enthusiasm and happiness in India. The festival is celebrated for five continuous days, where the third days is celebrated as the main Diwali festival or 'Festival of lights'. Different colorful varieties of fireworks are always associated with this festival. On this auspicious day, people light up diyas and candles all around their house. They perform Laxmi Puja in the evening and seek divine blessings of Goddess of Wealth. The festival of Diwali is never complete without exchange of gifts. People present diwali gifts to all near and dear ones.

The Depawali or Diwali festival also marks the beginning of the new year according to the Hindu calendar, as the Ashwin month ends and the Kartik month begins on this day. According to Hindu reckoning, the date of Diwali falls on 15th day of the dark fortnight in the auspicious Hindu month of Kartik or the month of October/November in English calendar. This Diwali day falls on the amavasya or the no moon day.

This year some start this celebration on today, October 16 and some will start on October 17.

This celebration has personal significance to me as one of my beloved spiritual teachers, Sri Sadguru Sant Keshavadasi, gave me my spiritual name Lakshmi/Laxmi some 20 years ago. Amongst other things Lakshmi is known to be the aspect of the goddess that embodies prosperity, wealth, generosity and harmonious relationships. As I tend to be a "little" outspoken, spiritual friends at the time teased me about being given the name to balance me out, i.e. calling a tall person Shorty, as opposed to being an expression of who I am.

Now, after a significant period of time has passed I would both reasons are true. It is still a spiritual name I will be growing into for the rest of my life. And it is,also, one that expresses the many forms of prosperity I have experienced in this life in terms of friends, family, beloved spiritual teachers and the wonders that surround me in the world. I am truly blessed with abundance in many forms. Om Sreem Om. Thank you for your blessings for your profound blessings Guruji. Thank you for your magnificience Mother Lakshmi.

compassionate mother omnipresent
heart filled with grace and light
my soul is consumed with your love

 "In a gentle way, you can shake the world." - Mohandas Gandhi

May you have peace, prosperity and joy

No comments:

Post a Comment