Friday, June 7, 2013

Type 4 & My Past


“It was like we were exchanging codes, on how to be a father and a daughter, like we'd read about it in a manual, translated from another language, and were doing our best with what we could understand.”
-- Aimee Bender, The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

Type 4 Enneagram
http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeFourOverview.asp#.UbK-g6x_7Ks

Parental Orientation

Fours are disconnected from both parents. As children, they did not identify with either their mothers or their fathers. ("I am not like my mother; I am not like my father.") They may have had either unhappy or solitary childhoods as a result of their parents' marital problems, divorce, illness, or simply because of personality conflicts within the family.

Yes, we had a rift in our family that problem caused a disconnect.

One day my father just didn't come home. I only know by the story. I have memories of my grandmother taking care of me. My mother dating a sailor
named Tim. But he came back, my dad.

I only know the story, I can't even remember who told me, so odd I am thinking now. Like my grandmother (Nana, mom's mom). The story somewhere around the time I was 2 or 3 without any warning my dad just didn't come. Disappeared out of our lives. I never even really stopped until right now to think about how devasting it must have been for my mother. Funny guess I haven't really wanted to think about much at all. It sure could explain a very strained relationship I felt in the middle of all my young life.

What happened I never heard from my dad ever, at all. What I heard was that he lost his job and just decided not to come home. Is that it, was that it. Why did he come back. I sensed he loved me, but he was clear about never really wanting kids. I remember his explosive temper, no warning. I remember my nother standing between he and I protecting me, and sometimes not being able to protect me from his temper. I remember her trying. The tide of his rage just went to high and deep.

I, also, remember he drew the best teddy bears on my thumbnails, how I loved that. The one thing I could sit still for.

Hmmm. Why did he come back. I don't know. Maybe he had nowhere else to go.

I never felt they should have stayed together, but they did, right until the end.

2 comments:

  1. Lynn, as the years quickly stream by, memories often flood from the many loose, untidy, scraggly, painful "unknowns" left dangling from childhood, tearing at ones heart. Yet, it's amazing how the heart STILL preserves a child's fondest moments...

    "I, also, remember he drew the best teddy bears on my thumbnails, how I loved that. The one thing I could sit still for."

    Here is the heart's tender simplicity...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uX_adRO-Do&feature=youtu.be

    Namaste...

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, a really sweet song enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete